Trinity Window

Trinity Window

Trinity Window

Studio Unknown
ca. 1857

The window located in the top of the back wall of the nave is the oldest stained glass window in Trinity Church. It is “stained” glass, through which you can see, and was originally positioned high up in the front wall above the Altar until the installation of the Sealy Altar Window in 1904. This window contains the ancient symbol which was and still is used to teach the relationships within the Holy Trinity. All of the inscriptions in the window are in Latin. In the center is a circle with the inscription Deus (God). There are three outer circles forming an equilateral triangle and inscribed Pater, Filius, and Spts. Snts. (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Each outer circle is connected to the center circle by a straight line upon which is inscribed est (is), meaning that the Father is God/God is the Father, the Son is God/God is the Son, and The Holy Spirit is God/God is the Holy Spirit. Finally, each of the outer circles is connected to the one next to it by a curved line with the inscription non est (is not), meaning that the Father is not the Son/Son is not the Father, the Son is not the Holy Spirit/Holy Spirit is not the Son, and The Holy Spirit is not the Father/Father is not the Holy Spirit. God in three distinct persons – God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit – the Holy and Undivided Trinity.